- My Day Rate includes 6 to 8 hours of work.
- I work a full time day job, and I’m a parent, so I typically spread a “day” of freelance work across 1 week unless I am working on a rush job. So, for example: a job quoted at twice my Day Rate takes me approximately 2 weeks to complete.
- If you are in-queue behind other commissions, I will give you an estimate on when I will start work on your commission and when you can expect final work to be completed.
- Quotes are calculated as: Estimated Full Day(s) to Complete X Day Rate X Additional Fees = Cost of Commission
- All commissions include a plain-text file with pre-written alt-text that can be used when sharing the work in contexts that support alt-text such as websites and social media posts.
- Email commission requests to firstname.lastname@example.org. I attempt to respond to commission requests within 1 week of receipt.
|Client Type||Day Rate in USD|
|Independent Creator/Co-Op/Small Publisher||$300 ($37.50/hr)|
|Large Publisher||$400 ($50/hr)|
|Corporate Publisher||$500 ($62.50/hr)|
|Scope||X Day Rate|
|Spot/Text-Filler w/o Background||1/2-1|
|1 Figure w/o Background||1-2|
|1 Figure w/Background, Multiple Figures, Detailed Architecture/Landscapes||1-6|
|No release under CCLA*||+100%|
*Creative Comrades License Agreement https://creativecomrades.org
All rates are consistent with, or in some cases well under, the recommended rates of the Graphic Artists Guild.Creative Comrades License Agreement Release
- 90 days after first commercial use of the art by the Client, or 90 days after final art is provided to the client for personal use, the Artist may release the art under a CCLA.Work For Hire
I firmly believe in creator-owned work and only take on work for hire contracts for existing IPs, and only at a substantial premium above my advertised rates. Contact me by email if you wish to discuss a work for hire rate.
The following language is commonly used in my contracts. The contents of your contract may vary from this language based on the specifics of your commission. Be sure to read your contract and send me any questions about its terms prior to paying your first invoice.1. Payment & Delivery
- All fees will be billed to the Client via PayPal invoice. Invoice(s) will state deadline(s) for payment.
- Work will begin upon payment of first invoice.
- Any remaining balance due upon the Client’s acceptance of final Work.
- The Artist will deliver all files necessary to enable the Client’s usage rights upon receipt of full payment.2. Revisions & Alterations
- Artist will check-in with the Client with progress at each stage of the Work (i.e. Sketches, Pencils, Inks, Colors)
- The Client may request one pass of revisions at each check-in.
- Additional revisions will be billed at 25% of the original commission fee.3. Rights Granted
- Rights granted are conditional upon receipt of full payment.
- Personal Use enables the Client to use the Work in any non-commercial context. The Client cannot license the Work to other entities.
- Commercial Use enables the Client to use the Work in commercial contexts. The Client cannot license the Work to other entities.
- The Client cannot create, sell, or distribute the Work as Non-Fungible Tokens (NFT) or any other type of blockchain reliant crypto-art.
- 90 days after first commercial use of the Work by the Client, or 90 days after final Work is provided to the Client for personal use, the Artist may release the Work under a Creative Comrades License Agreement. Preventing or altering the release of the Work in this way shall require payment of an additional fee subject to all terms.
- Any usage rights not exclusively transferred are reserved to the Artist. Usage beyond that granted to the Client herein shall require payment of an additional fee subject to all terms.
- Original Work, including sketches and any other preliminary material, and all copyrights therein, remains the property of the Artist unless the Client pays an additional fee subject to all terms.
- The Artist retains the rights to display all Work created for the commission, including preliminary materials and final art, in their portfolios, including in print and online, and to submit such work to art and design periodicals and competitions.4. Attribution & Contributor Copies
- To credit the Artist under the terms of this contract, the Client shall credit the Artist as: “JN Butler”
- In contexts where a link to the Artist’s work is appropriate, the Client shall link to: “https://jnb.art”
- The pronouns they/them/theirs will be used when making reference to the Artist in any medium.
- If the work is included in publication of physical products and/or digital files, the Client shall provide the Artist with at least 1 contributor copy of each category of product (for example: 1 softcover book and 1 PDF).5. Penalties and Fees
- A 5% monthly service charge will be billed for any late payments.6. Unauthorized Use
- The Client will indemnify the Artist against all claims and expenses, including reasonable attorney’s fees, arising from uses for which no release was requested in writing or for uses exceeding the authority granted by a release.7. Limit of Liability
- The Client agrees that they shall not hold the Artist or their agents or employees liable for any incidental or consequential damages that arise from the Artist’s failure to perform any aspect of the Project in a timely manner, regardless of whether such failure was caused by intentional or negligent acts or omissions of the Artist or a third party.8. Acceptance of Terms
- The payment of the first invoice by the Client shall evidence acceptance of these terms by the Client.
- Receipt of payment by the Artist shall evidence acceptance of these terms by the Artist.
Creative Comrades Licensed Art
The art in the google drive link below is available for personal and commercial use under the terms of the most up to date version of the Creative Comrades License Agreement.
Visit creativecomrades.org to read the terms for using this art, and learn how to share your own creative works under the CCLA.JN Butler Art CCLA Google DriveAs long as you abide by all of the terms of the CCLA, you can use this art by including one of the three labels below in your project — plainly visible and easily readable (the hyperlinks in the labels are appreciated, but not required):
“Art by JN Butler CCLA 0.3”
“Art by JN Butler is licensed under CCLA 0.3”
“Art by JN Butler is licensed under the Creative Comrades License Agreement 0.3”If you’d like to help fill this collection with more art, commission me! 90 days after publication of the commissioned art, or 90 days after final art is provided for personal use, the art will be released here under the CCLA.
Where to purchase JN's artwork, designs, and more...
JN Butler is an illustrator whose work explores the sublime terror of unfathomable shadows & the subtle beauty in macabre motifs. Their specialty is striking black & white compositions, but they also occasionally use vibrant halftone colors for banners, covers, & posters.JN can be reached at email@example.comYou can also support their art with a (decaf) coffee at ko-fi.com/jnbutlerart
- Drawing: Space, Form, and Expression, W. Enstice & M. Peters, ISBN 978-0-13-603190-1
- International Drawing Annual, Manifest Gallery, International Release, ISBN 978-0-578-02500-1
- For a Better Tomorrow, ed. S. Ghosn, ISBN 978-0-9823159-9-6TTRPGs
- 10 MILLION HP PLANET, Sandy Pug Games, itch.io
- AEGIS, Erik Bernhardt, itch.io
- All Must Bow, Bleak Horizons Press, itch.io
- A Night at the Tavern, Sandy Pug Games, Kickstarter
- Combat Wheelchair v3.0, Sara Thompson, Free on Google Drive
- Dead Reign, Archive15, itch.io
- The Map Is Not The Territory, Anthology, Kickstarter
- Medicine on the Path: Disability in the Witcher TTRPG, Sara Thompson, Free on Google Drive
- Monster Manifest, JN Butler, itch.io
- Sidequest, Nirav Sanghani, itch.io
- Tide Breaker RPG, Nick Butler, tidebreakerrpg.comFiction & Interactive Fiction
- The Exquisite Corpse in Maggots’ Keep, Sandy Pug Games, Kickstarter
- WIZARDPUNK, Sandy Pug Games, itch.io